Jeremy I. BohrerManaging Partner
O: (212) 303-3536
C: (646) 765-8088
- New York Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York New York
- J.D., Washington University School of Law
- B.A., cum laude, Tufts University
Jeremy Bohrer’s 20 plus years of experience as principal and practitioner span the areas of white collar defense and investigations, crisis and enterprise risk management, sophisticated transactions and wind-downs, and c-suite advisory.
Jeremy Bohrer resolves complex issues at the nexus of business and law as a trusted consigliere to his clients. Drawing on his own unique experience as the Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel of a multi-billion dollar hedge fund, Jeremy brings his firsthand knowledge of crisis, enterprise, and legal risk management to every client he represents. After holding senior roles at financial services institutions and global law firms, Jeremy founded his own independent boutique law firm to create the ideal platform for delivering the creative, strategic advice his clients need.
Jeremy represents high-profile executives, hedge and private equity funds, public and private companies, family offices, entrepreneurs, and other investors. He tirelessly defends his clients’ interests with an adaptive combination of behind-the-scenes advocacy, direct negotiation, commercial intuition, and legal quarterbacking.
With a legal defense philosophy that goes far beyond traditional thinking, Jeremy represents clients in white collar defense and regulatory investigations. He has advised clients in matters dealing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Financial Services Authority, Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, New York State Attorney General’s Office, Southern District of New York and Department of Justice. Jeremy’s extensive network of white-collar, financial services and other industry experts has enabled him to assemble premier, multi-disciplinary teams for trial defense cases.
As an attorney and executive who has navigated a spectrum of challenges in the financial services and alternative asset management arenas, Jeremy knows how to handle the call when something has ‘gone wrong.’ Jeremy evaluates and acts decisively to craft a solution that addresses the critical issues, players, and ecosystems to ensure survival. His approach incorporates a pragmatism and discretion that aims to minimize disruption to the client and preserves reputation. This advisory role applies to issues of existential threat, including white collar defense, cybersecurity, partnership and employment disputes, insurance procurement, and investor scrutiny among other disciplines. Leveraging his own niche experience winding down billion dollar funds in crisis situations, Jeremy understands how to guide his clients through the legal and commercial issues to maximize the business outcome achievable. Jeremy negotiates multi-million dollar deals on behalf of his clients, frequently in some of the most complex situations involving adverse principals, directors, brokers, insurers, and investors.
Representative In-House Matters
- Level Global Investors, L.P.
- Managed and coordinated all legal defense efforts on behalf of Level Global Investors, following a highly publicized and controversial FBI raid resulting in Level's voluntary decision to cease operations.
- Played an integral role in successfully winding down Level Global Investors Management Company and Fund Operations, including the orderly liquidation of all investment vehicles and the prompt return of capital to investor's.
- Prevailed in a critical insurance coverage case of first impression, XL Specialty Ins. Co. v. Level Global Investors, L.P., et. al., No. 12 Civ. 1598 (S.D.N.Y. June 13, 2012) in which U.S. District Court Judge Paul Engelmayer held that "irreparable harm" could result to the employees of Level Global Investors, if XL Specialty Insurance did not keep paying Level's legal fees. The decision freed up $25 million which played a key role in Level's successful defense.
- Supported the defense efforts of Level's co-founder who was unjustly indicted and erroneously convicted--a conviction that was subsequently reversed by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in United States v. Newman, 773 F.3d 438 (2d Cir. 2014), a landmark decision with national implications, clarifying the law of insider trading.
- Oversaw all aspects of the launch of Radar, a specialized sector fund; developed internal allocation and related trading and investment policies/procedures which enabled Level Global to scale to a multi-product platform.
- Orchestrated the sale of a minority ownership interest in Level Global Investor's Management Company to Goldman Sachs’ Petershill Fund. Negotiated the deal terms and resolved complex tax, control, information rights and revenue sharing issues.
- Filed several patent applications for Level Global's proprietary technology platform, IDEA 2.0; appeared multiple times before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Managed relationships with the Funds’ independent board of directors. Presided over annual and ad hoc board meetings.
- Created proprietary trading desk protocols inclusive of secondary offerings, short sales, privately placed securities and SPACS. Advised portfolio managers on concerted and activist shareholder activity in domestic and foreign markets.
- Spearheaded product development conversations re: investment guidelines, fees, terms, liquidity, transparency, and other key considerations.
- Additional Matters
- Took a leading role in developing the broker dealer industry's joint defense strategy to defend against then New York Attorney General Elliot Spitzer's allegations of market manipulation (e.g. "tie-in sales," "spinning" and "laddering"). Authored a defense consortium white paper entitled An Overview of the Legal, Regulatory, and Industry Standards Applicable to Underwriting and Distribution of Initial Public Offerings.
- Counseled fund managers, product development and global sales teams in connection with the successful launch, distribution, and sale of AIG-sponsored private equity, real estate, mezzanine, and hedge fund-of-funds vehicles.
- Negotiated and structured AIG Investment Corp.'s balance sheet investments in hedge funds, limited partnerships, mezzanine financing, infrastructure, and private equity deals. Worked with portfolio managers to assess risk, maximize return on investment and effectuate profitable exit strategies.